Student visa

Canada is one of the most sought-after destinations for anyone who wants to study abroad. This is because the country has one of the highest standards of education in the word.  

If you are a student that is studying for over 6 months in Canada, you will need a Canadian Study Permit. But if you will be studying for less than 6 months in Canada, you won’t need to seek for a Study Permit.

What is a Canadian Study Permit?

Every year, more than 130,000 students move over to Canada in order to study. But to do so, they must get hold of a Study Permit. This Permit is a form of TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) which allows students like you to study in Canada for a temporary period. The Study Permit usually indicates the educational institution the students are attending as well as the course of study.

Ato qualify for a Canadian Study Permit, you must file Form IMM 1294. This is the form that is used by individuals who want to apply for a Study Permit. You will need to meet a set of requirements as well, and these will be outlined later on.nd 

Canadian Study Permits also allow full-time international students in Canada to work. You can work on or off-campus for up to 20 hours every week.

Eligibility for Study Permit Visa
To be eligible for a Study Permit Visa, applicants should have a confirmed place or citadel of learning to study. If you have appealed to a designated learning institute and you are accepted, you will need to submit some documentation. You must also be able to meet all set requirements as stipulated by the Canadian government.
The designated organizations include:
  • A Canadian university
  • Technical school
  • Publicly funded tradeCommunity college
  • A private institution authorized by provincial statute to award degrees

Applicants must also be able to meet the following criteria:

  • You must provide a letter that confirms your acceptance to study at an authorized and designated organization in Canada.
  • You must have excellent proof of funds that will cover tuition fees.
  • If you are an applicant for study in Quebec, you must have a Quebec Certificate of Acceptance or CAQ (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec).
  • You must also be able to present proof of maintenance funds and any family member that is also traveling to Canada.
  • There must be proof of funds to pay for the applicant as well as any family member to return to their country of origin when they have completed their studies.
  • You must be in good health and must submit to a medical examination if requested.
  • You must be able to provide a criminal records/police certificate from your country of origin. However, it is not mandatory unless it is specifically requested.
  • You must have an intension to return to your country of origin after you have completed your study. You must also be able to convince an immigration official that you have duly completed your study.

From June 1st, 2014, holders of the Canadian Study Permit who can meet the eligibility criteria have been allowed to work on or off-campus. There will be no need to seek for a separate work permit.
Students who meet the criteria outlined below can work for at most 20 hours every week during term time as well as full time during academic holidays:

  • You must be a full-time student
  • You must have a valid Canadian Study Permit
  • You must be studying on a program that lasts for a minimum of 6 months
  • You must be studying at a post-secondary level in Canada
  • You must be studying on an accredited program that awards a diploma, degree or certificate.
  • You must be studying towards a post-secondary level qualification or a secondary level vocational qualification in Quebec.
  • You must be studying at an accredited and designated organization in Canada such as a community college, Canadian university, CEGEP (college d’enseignement general et professionnel), technical or publicly funded school or a private institution authorized by provincial statute to award degrees.
  • The work must consist of academic research in a field that is related to the program of study
  • You must be a recipient of a scholarship

Your spouse is eligible to work temporarily in Canada. 

What if you apply for a Canadian Study Permit and you are refused?

Applicants for a Canadian Study Permit can be refused for several reasons. If you lack proof of sufficient funds or proof that you intend to stay temporarily, your application will not be approved.